6.09.2009

The Top 10 Horror Films any Horror Buff NEEDS to see...

So i have been watching horror films and extreme cinema for about as long as i can remember... More specifically, I will never forget that lazy August Sunday when i was 6 or so... I was fucking about, as 6 year olds do, in our finished basement just outside of Edmonton. This, with its concrete floors and subterranean qualities made it a good 10 degrees cooler than the scorching Hell that was upstairs as the mercury climbed into the low 30's Celsius.

My Father, agreeing with my 6 year old sensibilities was on the couch and had the television on to some Sunday afternoon horror program... It happened to be John Landis' 1981 American Werewolf in London.

Now, there was a loudly spoken and known rule in my house that my brother and i were not allowed to watch violent or horrific cinema, this was all part of my mothers belief that violent media would warp us somehow. (Repression breeds perversion mom, look at my obsession with horror now...) Anyway, i guess he figured that because it was on TV and therefor edited there would be no problem with me watching the movie.

As soon as this wonderfully graphic piece of lycanthrope cinema ended I ran upstairs into the bright summer light and hid behind the couch until my mom came home.

True story.

Once i had processed the trauma of the film and my parents explained that werewolves , even ones in Nazi Uniforms were not real, my thirst for the macabre was deep-seated. Although this had begun even earlier in life when i was unable to tear myself away from pictures of Jesus crucified at Golgotha during church and Sunday school.

Moving into my teens i satiated my appetite with the wettest and naked nubile teen filled Slasher Flics and the most exploitative of Italian Cinema. Moving onward i discovered German Nihilism, Hong Kong Extreme and well, whatever the fuck is wrong with the Japanese. There has been good, bad, and just p[lain ugly and I know 10 doesn't come close to encompassing all the fucked up films out there. But here is my personal, and not in any order:

Top 10 Personal Horror Films any Horror Buff Needs to See:
1) Hellraiser

2) The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2-Disc Ultimate Edition)

3) Dawn of the Dead (Ultimate Edition)

4) Dead Alive

5) Ichi the Killer (Unrated Edition)

6) Cube

7) Funny Games

8: Schramm

9) Cemetery Man

10) Inside (Unrated)

There you have it! Get out there and see these films...

- C

1 comment:

Jess said...

I have seen every single one of these - Schramm was thanks to you.

Thanks to you!


xoxox